Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What made you choose Muay Thai over the other martial arts?
I'm curious at what you guys would say about this topic. What made you choose to study Muay Thai over other branches in martial arts, like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Wushu, Jiu Jitsu, or even Krav Maga? What was the appeal in Muay Thai that got you into studying it?
I didn't have any choice haha! Just kidding, but not that much. I live in a relatively small town and I do MMA so at first we had a boxing coach at the gym and that's all I'd do. But then he got replaced by a Muai Thai guy who eventually opened his own Muai Thai school so yeah, it was pretty much the only choice I had, but I'm still sure I'd pick Muay Thai over boxing for MMA.
It was just a chance access thing for me - I had the chance to do it, so I did. I found out I liked it more than boxing and kickboxing, so I started slowly heading over to the little rag tag camp they have going in town, and now I'm a bit further along down the road.
I originally started boxing when I was around 10 years old, and the gym I went to also had other classes so I just got involved with it that way really.

I wouldn't say that I chose it, it was more a case of it choosing me, because after my first few times I was hooked
My parents actually really got to my head about it and it ultimately lead to my move into Muay Thai and I personally enjoy it as well. It is, competitive, and exciting more in other ways compared to Martial Arts or Tei Kwon Do.
What I love about Muay Thai is that it is the only martial arts that uses all of the eight limbs. It uses all these points as a weapon which makes it very effective in combat. And although it might seem like very hard to learn, it is actually very simple. I mean, even in Asian countries, young children learn Muay Thai at such an early age. It is a martial arts type that can be for everybody as long as you work hard for it and practice it.

The fact that it trains not just your body but also your mind, is another aspect as to why I chose it over other martial arts. It's not just for strengthening your body, but it also helps make your mind focused and strong. I find that the more I train, the better I become at the sport and at the same time, my mind becomes sharper too.

Lastly, it helps tremendously for weight loss. Training can burn over a thousand calories already. It's a great exercise as well for people trying to lose weight.
Muay Thai is the most comprehensive striking form there is. It makes effective use of all parts of the body (except head) and as a result, it's the most interesting to learn. I found it to be the most practical martial art and it is one of the foundation arts accepted in mma. I was also easy to find here in The UK and training also helps with fitness and strength. After years of playing football and rugby, Muay Thai training is something that leaves you with skills you can actually apply off the field/outside of the gym.
I wanted to take some time to learn some of each the different martial arts methods. I've tried karate, Jiu Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do, and now I'm trying Muay Thai. I'm not an expert at any of them, but I'm proficient in a few different kinds. That way I am prepared to fight any style.
I don't have to stop and break after every point. It's quite active and there's no belt system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(05-06-2016, 07:32 AM)OursIsTheFury Wrote: I'm curious at what you guys would say about this topic. What made you choose to study Muay Thai over other branches in martial arts, like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Wushu, Jiu Jitsu, or even Krav Maga? What was the appeal in Muay Thai that got you into studying it?

My weakest physical attribute is flexibility, which is minimized with knee and elbow fighting and kicks aimed mainly at the ribs and below. I tried Tae Kwon Do for a bit, but not being able to perform many of the basic kicks just made it fun. Yes, you have to train your flexibility, but Muay Thai allowed me to progress my martial arts at the same time I was progressing my flexibility. Tae Kwon Do was basically saying ´just come back when you are more flexible.