Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the right age to be a fighter?
One boxer I know, started fighting when he was 14 years old. That may be the reason why his growth was stunted. He is only 5 feet 2 inches while his siblings are much taller than him. In this age of mixed martial arts, I think growth will be more stunted when the fighter starts young. What do you think is the right age for a person to become a fighter?
In my view children or teenagers shouldn't be exposed to full time or professional Martial arts activities. They may just train on lighter notes for self defence purpose. That said, Any age after teenage ages I guess will be fine to begin serious fights or training in Martial sports.
At a professional level, I'd say when that individual is mature enough to know how and when to use his skills. As an introduction, I don't see anything wrong with teaching a child. It usually makes them more disciplined and can give the parent some assurance that their kid will be less likely to get in trouble though this can go the opposite way sometimes.
Let's take this matter objectively. If the kids are trained for a tournament, the age required for them should have to be trained. And what is the usual age for a martial arts tourney? It is, I think, 13 or 14 years old. Let's erase that notion that their growth would be stalled if they undergo training for a fight. I believe that with a proper training and a proper food taking in there is no way for that kid's growth be delayed.
Another important thing to note is a fighter should eat sufficiently to regain lost energy and have enough balance for normal growth. If a child must be exposed to regular fights then it is mandatory to be properly fed with surplus energy giving and nutritious food always. This will help stall stunted growth.
(12-14-2016, 11:14 AM)Tapungol Wrote: Let's take this matter objectively. If the kids are trained for a tournament, the age required for them should have to be trained. And what is the usual age for a martial arts tourney? It is, I think, 13 or 14 years old. Let's erase that notion that their growth would be stalled if they undergo training for a fight. I believe that with a proper training and a proper food taking in there is no way for that kid's growth be delayed.

Exactly!
My nephew started kickboxing when he was eight which is very young. His Dad is rather short and now my nephew is grown up, he has taken after his Dad and is also quite short. His Dad didn't do any kind of martial arts growing up so it looks like my nephew has just taken after his Dad, rather than the kickboxing stunting his growth.

One of my brothers used to do judo when he was at school, but I don't think it stunted his growth at all. I think that a young person doing any kind of martial arts is a good idea. They are watched for safety and given proper training, as well as being able to attend special classes for their age groups.
So I'm 16 and I started doing light training in Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing etc. I think it really depends on the culture and country you're from. As we know Thailand, many kids start training at as young as 5 years old. I think exposing kids to self defense or some kind of sport earlier helps them build confidence so age shouldn't really be a restriction. It's the training that should be restricted unless that kid really wants to push for more than just basic understanding of the combat sport.
I would think that rounding out the twenties and maybe the early thirties if you take care of yourself. That said, though, there are some people out there who tend to defy the laws of nature with how well they take care of themselves.
(12-25-2016, 04:28 PM)KiroMMA Wrote: So I'm 16 and I started doing light training in Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing etc. I think it really depends on the culture and country you're from. As we know Thailand, many kids start training at as young as 5 years old. I think exposing kids to self defense or some kind of sport earlier helps them build confidence so age shouldn't really be a restriction. It's the training that should be restricted unless that kid really wants to push for more than just basic understanding of the combat sport.

I agree to what you said that it depends on the culture. In the Scandinavia, fighters start late so it is not unusual to see a debut in the arena of a 25-year old fighter. Here in the Philippines, fighters start training at 18 or older and they become championship contender at past 25 years of age.