Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Training at home ?
Hello, story short is , i want to train in Muay Thai but have no gym near to go. And was thinking if its possible to training at home solo ? I have all equipment gloves,shin guards and soon will make bag from tires for striking.

But still most impostant question is: Is it possible to train and learn something correct and good ? In time will move to other city where have gyms but i want to train now.

Maybe ther is some good video or somthing what you could recomend becous in youtube i found so many video.

About me im 23y old , around 195cm+- , weight around 100kg i would say average body. What i will get down withs cardio and weight trainigs. My experiance with trainings is little , have do few month ttaekwondo and boxing but had to quit becous i broke my wrist. Now only trainings i do is at home , lifting some weights and cardio (bike and running).

Hope you guys could give me some tips what to do and what not to do. Smile
P.S sry for my bad writing skills.
195lbs is actually closer to 90 kg.

But training Muay Thai at home is going to be difficult. Sure, you can get in great shape cardio wise, and you can go online and look for tutorials and learn some techniques, but none of it compares to real life sparring. I suggest you try and find a friend who'd be into it as well so you too can bounce of off each other. That's probably the closest thing you can get, but it's still not nearly good enough as there's nobody to correct your technique.
I don't recommend it, as pj32 pointed out. It's not good to be flying solo unless you're strongly aware of what you're doing, and even then, it's better to have a teambro along with you for the ride. If you're alone, you could mess up a thousand ways with no way to correct them and its just plain inefficient.
While there's no doubt that you can train on your fitness and maybe even teach yourself a few basic moves from home, to be able to get fully trained your not going to be able to do it yourself in my opinion.

There are a lot of people online these days, especially on YouTube that say they can teach you remotely, but while I've never used them so can't say for sure, I very much doubt they'll be as good as personal one to one training.
You can't do self-study of any martial art, be it Muay Thai or otherwise, but you can stay fit in your own way. Although there are tutorial videos and self-research materials you can find online, nothing beats personal training and guidance from a qualified instructor/teacher. The closest you can get is training with a partner, and your partner will have to be knowledgeable about Muay Thai so you will have some working knowledge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyb2iUVY0oQ
I would recommend you to watch this Video!
and of course you can do self training, but every once a while, go to some big gym where you can find pro-Muay Thai coach to correct your incorrect movement!
Good luck with that my friend!
Big thanks to all, its kinda hard to get any good trainer here Smile Then running and weighs is all what left Smile
As others have said, it is possible to get fit, and to build up some power in your kicks and punches using at an at-home gym, but you run a very big risk of using incorrect form and not having anyone there to point it out to you. Our movements and body positioning always look better in our own heads. You can try recording yourself which may help a bit.

But the big thing is sparring. You have a very low ceiling when training any martial art when you are not sparring. Hitting a bag is false in that you always put yourself at perfect range. When sparring, you learn just how difficult it is to time a punch for max effectiviness against an opponent who is moving in and out of range. Also, it can´t be under-emphasised the value in taking a punch in the chops in exchange for throwing a bigger punch. That decisionmaking is only learned through hours and hours of sparring.
Well if I had all of the equipment and everything needed to get a full workout at home, I would really see no reason to leave, but of course that is not the case. If you really want I suppose that you can find alternatives to most of what you get in the gym, but at this point I am just so used to going to the gym that it would be weird not too, but I do like exercising at home too. Much more privacy and comfort, but I still kid of like the high that comes with going to the gym.
(06-25-2016, 08:31 PM)rz3300 Wrote: Well if I had all of the equipment and everything needed to get a full workout at home, I would really see no reason to leave, but of course that is not the case. If you really want I suppose that you can find alternatives to most of what you get in the gym, but at this point I am just so used to going to the gym that it would be weird not too, but I do like exercising at home too. Much more privacy and comfort, but I still kid of like the high that comes with going to the gym.

The privacy issue is important and like you say, I'd imagine that a lot of people would rather train in the comfort of their own homes but i thinks that's actually detrimental to your training, especially when it comes to learning martial arts.

Being able to perform certain routines in front of others is vital in my opinion as I'm sure we can all pull of things when nobody is watching, only to find that get up in front of others and do the same thing and we fall to pieces due to a lack of confidence.