Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swimming
I have to admit, I've never really noticed myself that I get any hungrier than I would do after any other amount of exercise, but it's interesting that you've noticed that in yourself and I'll take note next time I go. Any sort of exercise is going to make you hungry in a way, and so the fact that you are, I guess just shows that swimming really is one of the best forms of exercises that you can do.
(08-27-2016, 09:32 AM)SirJoe Wrote: Swimming is a good way build up your resistance and your lungs capacity. I don't swim as often as I would like but I still manage to go swimming once or twice a week. Do you use swimming as part of your training?

Yes, I go swimming three times a week. I find it's the best exercise that gets me in the mood for doing other things. I usually swim for about three-quarters of an hour each time. It helped me to lose weight and gives me enough energy to carry on. swimming doesn't really feel like exercise, it seems more like fun than other exercises that can seem rather like a chore to do.
(09-03-2016, 10:59 AM)janemariesayed Wrote:
(08-27-2016, 09:32 AM)SirJoe Wrote: Swimming is a good way build up your resistance and your lungs capacity. I don't swim as often as I would like but I still manage to go swimming once or twice a week. Do you use swimming as part of your training?

Yes, I go swimming three times a week. I find it's the best exercise that gets me in the mood for doing other things. I usually swim for about three-quarters of an hour each time. It helped me to lose weight and gives me enough energy to carry on. swimming doesn't really feel like exercise, it seems more like fun than other exercises that can seem rather like a chore to do.

Swimming does feel more like fun than actual exercise, and I think that's why a lot of people these days do go swimming than what used to. It also helps that a lot of gym's these days have pools that their members can use, whereas in the past, a lot of the gym's here in the UK used to just offer a pass to a local pool but one that was some distance away and so people just simply couldn't be bothered to go.

Now the pool is actually IN the gym complex, it's more tempting now so you can do your exercise all in one place.
I most certainly agree, it doesn't really seem like you are working out. Not only that, you can do it all year round since there are a lot of places that have heated pools.
(09-02-2016, 11:26 AM)mkhl Wrote: Somehow I get really, really hungry after swimming so watch out.

Well you are definitely not alone there. I am not sure what it is about being in the water, but the minute that you step out the stomach starts to rumble, at least mine does. I would guess it is due to what a great exercise it is, and that you did just burn a lot of calories, but maybe there is something else going on. Interesting to think about, though.
I really enjoy swimming. I am in pretty good shape so I don't do it because it is easy on your joints, but I do it because I enjoy it. Swimming feels really good and on a hot summer day it is a lot more enjoyable than going out and running. I know some people that swim even in the winter but I don't think I could do that.
(09-03-2016, 10:59 AM)janemariesayed Wrote:

It is strange that you have to burn energy in order to have energy, but I do find that as well. If I don't go swimming for a while it does seems like I just can't perform as well, both physically or mentally.
Swimming has always been a part of my life. I love it for the exercise and also because I find it extremely relaxing. There are so many health benefits of swimming that I can't help but think that everyone here should take it up. As far as low-impact exercises go, I think it's the best.
(09-10-2016, 11:19 AM)clair02 Wrote: Swimming has always been a part of my life. I love it for the exercise and also because I find it extremely relaxing. There are so many health benefits of swimming that I can't help but think that everyone here should take it up. As far as low-impact exercises go, I think it's the best.

It definitely is a good exercice, but it is not the best in my opinion. I also like it because you can develop a wide back if you swim a lot, it really helps your lungs to become stronger and more resistant, that being said, it really is a good sport to practice.
(09-10-2016, 11:19 AM)clair02 Wrote: Swimming has always been a part of my life. I love it for the exercise and also because I find it extremely relaxing. There are so many health benefits of swimming that I can't help but think that everyone here should take it up. As far as low-impact exercises go, I think it's the best.

I most certainly agree there aren't a lot of work outs that relax you and at the same time help you build stamina and strength.