Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muay Thai is partly religion
I have heard from an announcer in one Muay Thai matches of World Championship Kickboxing that Muay Thai is actually part of a religion in Thailand. From what I understand, Muay Thai is like yoga that is used by the fighter to strengthen his concentration for a better mental attitude. That is also ther reason why some Muay Thai fighters always pray before the fight.
I have no background about MT. What I know is the Thai Boxing which is a modified boxing as compared to a regular boxing bout which doesn't allow the use of elbow, kicks, and the like. I don't know if a religion is related with the common practice of every Thai boxers to do their ritual prayer before they fight. Well, for the sake of discussion when a person is praying does it really necessarily reflects his religion? Yes, our favorite boxer, Manny Pacquiao is always praying on the ring before he goes to a fight. That is his practice but it doesn't reflect that kind of religion which he believes in. Sorry for my ignorance or whatever.
Many martial arts have origins in religions and eventually in Thailand there is still a close connection to religion, but I can assure you that the people practicing it in my country are not interested in the religious history of it, they just love the martial art and that's why they practice it.
You are very correct @to7update though I am not clear with martial arts having a religious link, over here many of us interested in martial arts do not give a thinking about whether it has religious background, it doesn't occur to us. We are simply out to get the best fitting and physical strength obtainable through the training.
I was really not aware of any of the religious aspects, but sure enough once I saw this the first time around I started to pay a little more attention to it. It makes sense, and if that is what you want to make of it, then by all means.
I've also heard the saying that Muay Thai is like a religion to those who are highly skilled at it, but I always just assumed that they meant that the amount of dedication that people have to put into it makes it SEEM like a religion rather than actually be one.

Then again, I do think that there could be something spiritual involved, and especially for those who have dedicated their lives to learning and teaching it, so maybe it can be classed as partly a religion. I know that people are dedicated to other forms of martial arts, but with Muay Thai there definitely seems to be more that affects the mind as well as just the body.
I think that with everything a person does, if they are religious (of any belief system) then they would pray along with doing any necessary physical training that they have to do to practice and become proficient. Some things, like yoga for example, are an exercise that some people do just as a physical improvement, and other people will do the same exercise as part of their religious practice.
It makes sense to me that just about any exercise or physical training could be both physical and spiritual, if the person was also spiritually inclined.
(01-02-2017, 09:09 AM)to7update Wrote: Many martial arts have origins in religions and eventually in Thailand there is still a close connection to religion, but I can assure you that the people practicing it in my country are not interested in the religious history of it, they just love the martial art and that's why they practice it.

There is a close connection to martial arts and religion though, and if we look it up we can find those connections. I just think that in most countries that is lost, and today is just the physical part that happens, the religious side (discipline and so on) has disappeared.
One thing I also do know, if an activity is capable of taking the significant portion of our time it may begin to look like an idol or a worship. In that regard it could be that was how Muay Thai activities was carried out at the beginning of the sport by the initiators. This is just a thought
I actually think it was all the way around @tpicks. Muay Thai ad other martial arts started as some form of worship and eventually defense, and have evolved to a sport. Many people saw the benefits of controlling the body and defending ourselves, and their use became generalized.