Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kick is the essence of Muay Thai
A Muay Thai fighter should have a good arsenal of shots from his feet. Even his knee is a potent weapon in fighting. It is disappointing to watch a Muay Thai bout with a fighter who only uses his hands. In Glory Championship fights, I have seen several fights where a fighter instead of executing kicks would prefer a clinch. That is a boring fight when the fighters are wrestling while standing. Fighters of kickboxing bouts should be good kickers.
I noticed that while watching martial arts movies where Muay Thai is featured. Actually, it is not only kicking, but also using your knees to beat your opponent. Take actor Paulo Tocha, who portrayed Paco in Bloodsport. He gave his first opponent (Steve Daw) the much "kneeded" facial treatment. Also Michel Qissi and Kamel Krifia of the Kickboxer movie series. They have good reach when it comes to their kicks.
I have just watched the replay of BJ Penn's fight in the UFC league. He was champion in 2 divisions - lightweight and welterweight. His most potent weapon is his knee as shown in his 2 championship fights. Sean Shirk is a heavy-handed fighter that couldn't match the speed of Penn and what ended the fight was the knee jerk that hit his jaw. Indeed the knee is a powerful weapon.
(01-29-2017, 02:45 AM)PsychAL Wrote: I noticed that while watching martial arts movies where Muay Thai is featured. Actually, it is not only kicking, but also using your knees to beat your opponent. Take actor Paulo Tocha, who portrayed Paco in Bloodsport. He gave his first opponent (Steve Daw) the much "kneeded" facial treatment. Also Michel Qissi and Kamel Krifia of the Kickboxer movie series. They have good reach when it comes to their kicks.

Indeed this is well depicted in the Bloodsport. It is true that knees and kicks are part of the Muay Thai. That in itself is a reason why a Muay Thai fighter should be vigilant and take good care of his patella.