Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craving after working out?
Don't you ever feel cravings after working out and feel like wanting to eat a lot? I usually feel this way sometimes and I've found out that it comes down to what you eat and how often you eat; for example if you eat too much then you may get cramps, if you eat too little then you get these cravings, you have to eat the right amount at the right time, usually small meals throughout the day.
Oh yes, and this is completely natural. When you get done burning a lot of energy it is only right to want to put some back in, and the key here is having the right things on hand. I am not a nutrition expert by any means, but some pretty good common sense I would say can suffice here. Having fruits and vegetables on hand are the best for these times, because this is when the body wants to absorb those nutrients, so you need to feed it the good ones.
I normally have a small snack about an hour before I start my work out so I never really get this feeling. Even during my work out if I get peckish I will have a banana or an apple. It really gives me that extra boost.
I always have cravings after I work out. I thought that was normal for every one. I just have a banana afterwards and I feel better. I try not to eat before my workout because it doesn't stop me having cravings after anyway.
Whether you get cravings or not you need to eat something after working out. Yogurt, chocolate milk, energy drinks — anything that will help you recover your energy quickly. That actually is why you'll get cravings after working out. It's your body telling you that it needs "fuel" for post exercise metabolism.
(09-16-2016, 10:38 AM)John Snort Wrote: Whether you get cravings or not you need to eat something after working out. Yogurt, chocolate milk, energy drinks — anything that will help you recover your energy quickly. That actually is why you'll get cravings after working out. It's your body telling you that it needs "fuel" for post exercise metabolism.

This is true your body is your best metering system and will tell you when it needs something or not. I am not a big advocate of energy drinks because they normally are full of caffeine and create the illusion of giving you energy but anything light will do the job.
IT happens to me most of the time, I also think it's a really common thing that happens to everybody who works out properly. It definitely seems to be a good thing since it lets you know that you've done a good job when working out. Good luck.
I always found that if I did an intense workout then I didn't crave food at all after a session at the gym. Maybe my body was just to tired to think about food? On the days when i was taking it easy though I usually found that I was starving and craving food, but not the healthy food either. I'd have done anything for a McDonald's but that kind of defeated the point of going to the gym in the first place!

Moral of that story is if your going to train and workout, make sure you do enough that your body gets too tired to even think about food. Then again, if you go in the evening you just wake up the morning after starving instead so in a way you can't win!
(09-15-2016, 02:25 PM)AntonioCalcano Wrote: Don't you ever feel cravings after working out and feel like wanting to eat a lot? I usually feel this way sometimes and I've found out that it comes down to what you eat and how often you eat; for example if you eat too much then you may get cramps, if you eat too little then you get these cravings, you have to eat the right amount at the right time, usually small meals throughout the day.

Your body has two different mechanisms that trigger ´hunger´. The first is in your intestines and is just the empty feeling that you get. But the more substantial form of hunger is that your body monitors your blood and when different nutrients get below a certain level, it triggers hunger in your brain. This type of hunger is also specific, if you need amino acids, you will crave protein, if you need calories, you will crave sugar.

As an aside, this feedback mechanism becomes more enhanced in pregnant women who become more sensitive to momentary dips in nutrients in their bloodstreams.

The next time you have a really strong craving, listen closely to what types of foods you are craving. More than likely it will be something heavy in protein, carbs or simple sugars.
There were many times when I got cravings after my work outs. Lots of days I would go straight to the gym without eating, I'm saying that I would wake up in the morning and go straight to the gym, and eat later.

I have had times when I ate snack bars before the gym, but after the gym I would go to Mc. Donalds and get two big macs, and a large fry. Over time I learned how to control my physical needs when I'm done working out. Sometimes the only problems I have these days is my sugar is low, so after the gym I'm eat a Snickers, or something sweet, and I'll feel fine.