Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can training with a friend ruin the friendship?
I have been watching the UFC fights and in some interviews and sidelights, I learned that some of the popular fighters like Conor McGregor have been training with his friend. In training, I understand that injuries can be inflicted and the fighters in training are always hurt or harmed. Personally, I cannot see myself training with my friend because I would hurt him in the process and vice versa. The pain inflicted on me will have an effect on my psychology and it may negatively affect our friendship.
Well, when it comes to sparing with someone or training with another person, in general, it develops friendship--In my case. There's no fun training with someone you feel indifferent to. Getting hit is normal and I'm sure your friend wouldn't mind getting a black eye, it's training, what can one expect from it? If I were your training partner and your friend I would feel bad and hate you if you don't take it seriously.
I don't actually think training can ruin the friendship since you're both into that kind of sport so I don't see any point as to why can friendship be ruined just because of training. Getting hurt while training (particularly martial arts) is just normal. If you are a very sensitive person and you take physical pain emotionally, then martial arts training isn't for you.

Well probably if you are both in a competition and are competing against each other and the other one or both of you became greedy, with that then there might be a chance that your friendship might be affected.
On the contrary I think training could even go a long way to strengthen the friendship. I guess we are talking about friendship between two matured adults. Both parties know quite well it's just training and nothing serious. It's a good way of getting together and catching good fun by friends. That said, there should be some level of control.
Basically in training, there is a portion or part of sham fighting through a sparring partner who is usually your friend in the training session. Generally speaking as far as the training is concerned, there is nothing to worry about if your friend is hurt during the actually sparring bout. It would only a different story if it is intentionally done to inflict pain to hurt him.
I suppose anything can really ruin a friendship if you go ahead and let it. I would also think that it could do a lot to help build a friendship or strengthen that relationship too. As long as you have your priorities straight I would hope you would be okay.
The training of MMA fighters is so rigid that fighters can be injured sometimes. Last month a fight was canceled when one fighter suffered a broken rib in training. The UFC fighter is BJ Penn. And he said that his sparring partner is his close friend which means he had inflicted the injury on Penn. I don't think I can hurt my friend even if it is training only.
Accidents do happen and they couldn't be avoided in a sparring fights while the fighters are undergoing training. As I have mentioned the sparring partner is usually the buddy of any MMA fighters. Sad to note while in the process of sparring fight anyone of them may get hurt. It is, shall we say, that unprofessional if those who get hurt would harbor grudge to each one of them. Amateur fighters may be manifesting that kind of attitude.
(12-16-2016, 10:38 AM)Alexandoy Wrote: The training of MMA fighters is so rigid that fighters can be injured sometimes. Last month a fight was canceled when one fighter suffered a broken rib in training. The UFC fighter is BJ Penn. And he said that his sparring partner is his close friend which means he had inflicted the injury on Penn. I don't think I can hurt my friend even if it is training only.
That would be fatal to suffer a broken rib, well I don't think any friend would like go that far to inflict injury of such magnitude on a colleague. The big problem is with the officiating I guess, when a fighter is become too weak or lose stamina for continuous fighting I think the officials should exert more control.
I don't it will ruin any friendships unless you're immature. You know the risks beforehand and you decided who you wanted to train with. I train with friends and we indeed hurt each other but at least we know that we'll be there for each other so we can worry less.